Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Bravo pour les Americains!

Greetings from the city of light where the Eiffel Tower is lit up in blue! No, France is not the 51st (blue) state but it currently holds the presidency of the European Union.

Upon departure, I was shocked to see so many French people in line for the airplane wearing Obama buttons. Upon arrival, I have seen Obama buttons, stickers, and t-shirts in store fronts. I gave a friend's children Obama buttons (because they are half-American) and as we walked through the city, some teens spotted it and said, "Allez Obama! Allez Obama!"

I had a long conversation with a cab driver last night. He was from Antibes and we discussed the positive impact an Obama presidency will have on the world. I have been so used to America being hated (having lived overseas while Reagan was president) or derided for its political hypocrisy and puritanical obssession with sex and politicians (having lived overseas while Clinton was president).  From an intellectual perspective, it was clear having a new president would have a positive impact on the rest of the world. But here in Paris, I felt the difference from an emotional perspective. A young, intellectual biracial President with an incredible rise and a Muslim middle name speaks volumes about the diversity of America and our potential for living the values of tolerance and justice that are laid out in our Constitution.

It is truly an amazing to witness such symbolic change. And it's so refreshing to put aside the cynicism and doubts of "politics" and celebrate the moment.

I told my cab driver about an interesting article in New York magazine that talked about how children under 10 today would only remember America having a black President and a black First Family and what an enormous impact that would be. He agreed and told me how when his kids were young they had friends of all races and ethnicities - and they were so open they didn't even realize they were black and they had friends who were not. He ended by telling me something I've never heard in France before, "Bravo pour les Americains! Bravo!"
 
There are many Obama parties in Paris tonight but most are sold out or trop cher. I will be watching coverage from a friend's house. I imagine horns honking all over America when the final tally is in! More later.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is about celebrating a moment in history. Regardless of party, that our children will literally have a new view on politics and possibility is the greatest gift of all. And how great to have someone to give us the insight from abroad from the ground, not a newsroom. Merci beacoup, vous etes une deesse.

Anonymous said...

Ezra and I just voted for Obama. Rock out with your Barack out!

Anonymous said...

I got in line at 6:20am KC time and placed my ballot in the box at 7:15am. It was an honor and privilege to vote for OBAMA!! GO USA (thats for you MB!)

Anonymous said...

I just Rocked the Vote for the first time in my life and it was AWESOME voting for OBAMA! I guess it just took a little trip to Paris for you to get excited Mary! haha.

piper745 said...

Jennifer, JD and I voted together around 7:45am. in Arizona (McCain country) definitely a red state. Our voting poll was located in a mobile home park next to Turf Paradise ( horse race track). As we walked in to cast our ballots the air was filled with a horse manure aroma, only in the wild west:)We were proud to vote for Obama, the voice of not only change, but hope for all the people of color in our country who have always been held to a higher standard of acknowledgement for their success! I am so thankful that we(my husband, my daughter, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews and mother) will have the opportunity to witness this historical event of our lifetime!

PAYNE said...

Bravo!

Elisabeth, this is the big picture that we often fail to realize and savor... The larger world out there is watching. so far i have received communications from Haiti and Ivory Cost from friends and family not only wanted to make sure I voted but I voted for Obama...

Meanwhile I can hear the radio, TV in the background of local pundits analyzing this historic event...

Today's election feels like a world cup where most of the world is glued to their tvs, radios and now internet not wanting to miss a nanno second of this event.

A couple of my friends in Ivory Coast demanded that I call them once the election is called for OBAMA. Now Imagine how many people, like me, are receiving similar calls from the globe over.

Bravo pour les Americains indeed!!!


peace,


philippe

Anonymous said...

where will the first riots be? philadelphia? chicago? i cant wait for some car burning tonight.

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of screams of joy for the big O in Denver tonight. Glad to hear the world is celebrating.

Be safe and have fun in Paris!

John

Anonymous said...

Once again the USA demonstrates the virtue of civilty in our democratic process.

Viva America!

Anonymous said...

It's an exciting time to be an American! I'm so glad the drought is coming to an end.

It will take many, many years and lots of patience and effort to undo the damage the present administration has inflicted on our national psyche and international image. Then there's all the stuff Bush and his band of criminals are signing in to law before he goes. Palin will be happy to know the gray wolf will be open to hunting again. Ugh.

And yes, I still have bills to pay, business is still down, my next door neighbor had to give up her house and crime is up in KC. Nothing has really changed, but it sure feels different, doesn't it?

:)

Becky

Anonymous said...

it brought tears to my eyes to read this blog of how the french are celebratingit with us!! What a night of celebrating we had , Hope is here !!
History was made in my own home this am my 18 yr son had CNN on his tv this am not ESPN!!!
Rock the Vote!!!

Anonymous said...

MEB; i was almost more looking forward to your post the day after, than hearing wolf blitzer's nasal monotone announce one of the greatest events in my lifetime.

I am in Sao Paolo right now with a group from all over Latin America- chile, argentina, puerto rico, and Brazil. All are so engaged, and again, 'proud' of America and what can still happen here.

I think Sarah's father summed up what i think alot of people are thinking -- the man is a lifelong, die hard republican (from my view... he's right of center, so 'die hard'), when he said "I have never been prouder to be an American.

Having watched the civil rights movement, the riots, the hatred, and the
assassinations of so many great Americans, it is truly a moving
experience to see that the United States has finally come of age.

I am so glad it happened in my lifetime."

And, i couldn't agree more...

Dad of Z&M said...

OK, so I am a LITTLE behind in reading this - and in getting behind an Obama presidency. I liked your entry and the vibe you saw in Paris, which echoed the words from our friends in other parts of Europe and Latin America. But less than two months after your posting, and weeks before the "-elect" is dropped from the "President", I still have lingering concerns about the candidate long on hope but short on experience. The next president faces perhaps the most challenging time this country has seen since FDR, and a world that would love to see the US fail. I am cross my fingers, not just for me, but for my two kids under three....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

quite interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)