Thursday, September 02, 2004

Politics and the City - Issue 1

A few quick notes this morning -

One Dick Trumps Another
I noted on the way to the subway this morning that Kobe Byrant's apology out-tabloided Cheney's vitriol on the two morning conservative tabloids.

I'm Not a Doctor but I Play One on TV
In response to Sarah Jessica Parker's outspoken anti-Bush stance, Republican women in New York are wearing black tshirts that read, "Carrie doesn't speak for me" on the front with "Neither does Kerry" on the back. Can someone let them know that Carrie Bradshaw is a fictional character?

Men and Women in Uniform
You may hear the Republicans mention today that the Uniformed Firefighters Association (9,000) has endorsed Bush. It's true. But it's also true that the International Association of Firefighters (265,000 in the nation; 2,900 locals) and the Uniformed Fire Officers Association (number unknown), representing the fire lieutenants, captains, and other officers have endorsed Kerry.

Also note that firefighters and cops are currently protesting in New York for a better contract. A group was demonstrating in front of Ground Zero the other night when I was leaving work. A cop told me that NYC cops are ranked 143rd in the nation for pay. He asked me where I was from and I said the Upper East Side. He nodded and then said, "Cops in Newark..." Let me digress, even when New Yorkers don't say "fucking" out loud, their body language and tone make it clear when it goes without saying it - out loud. This is the manner in which he said, "Newark, New Jersey cops make more than us."

Interestingly enough, cops who have been loudly protesting outside of Bloomberg's apartment on East 79th until 1:00 a.m. have not been arrested or trapped with the orange net.

This morning as I crossed the West Side Highway, I turned to look at some jackhammers working away at Ground Zero. A cop noticed me staring and looked at my anti-Bush button. We caught eyes , he smiled and waved. A reminder that we can't judge politics by our work uniforms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I'm a friend of Ann Molloy here in Kansas City, and a recovering attorney myself. I'm loving your comments. When I first read your comment about the firefighters my mind read that the fellows who endorsed Bush were the "uninformed" firefighters (oops, I misread "uniformed". Imagine my distress!). I'm loving also your comments about the signs. My just 8 year old daughter and I were a part of the March for Women's lives in WDC in April. We dodged the bullet on the numerous Bush references, just because there were so many other interesting things going on that she never asked about the word play. She was very alarmed, as only an elementary school age child can be, about the women who pulled their shirts off to march. We have some great pictures and I'm sure we'll get a good laugh about it all when she is older. We were in NYC for a week at the end of July, so she followed all of the news coverage of the convention with more interest than normal for her. She was happy to see that people were mad at George Bush in Central Park and in many of the places we had visited.
Keep up the posting. We don't live in such a nice liberal world out here in the "heartland" so it gives us hope. I am, by the way, Denise Phillips at karunakc@kc.rr.com. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Great Blog... keep up the good work!

Fire Fighter Grants